Monday, September 9, 2013

Fear and Awkwardness in Wisconsin

Nothing in life is to be feared.  It is only to be understood.  ~Marie Curie


Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.  ~Bill Cosby
To fear is one thing.  To let fear grab you by the tail and swing you around is another.  ~Katherine Paterson, Jacob Have I Loved
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom.  ~Bertrand Russell
clumsiness? check.
lack of confidence? check.
awkward? check.
suddenly a first-time victim of fainting spells and panic attacks? check.
In 5th grade, a 6th grader (who’s name I definitely remember and is NOT a Facebook friend!) told me in gym class that I run funny. At lunch she told me I chewed funny.
I’m fairly certain this was the closest I ever had to being bullied, which is by no means complaint-worthy at all, but it has clearly and pathetically stuck with me.
I have a fear of gyms and have never (since once in High School) signed up for any type of exercise class. As I begin to notice aging and post-breakup changes in my body, I’ve decided it’s really time to get over my childhood self-esteem issues and actually take care of myself.
I haven’t worked out in 3 years. The closest thing I’ve had to exercise was 1 Level 1 video session of “The Biggest Loser Yoga” 4 months ago. I usually eat fairly healthy but certainly have my more-than-fair share of Wisconsin foods: beer, cheese, and fried anything.
So I signed up for a Tuesday night 7 week Yoga class downtown.
(If you remember from my “Zero Score and 7 years ago...” blog, this is #3 on the Bucket List (aka “Fulfilling My Dreams”/”Finally Feeling Alive”/”Get Out of Rock Bottom” List))
It starts tomorrow.
I am a ball of panic attacking nerves. I want to throw up. I’ll probably just end up shaking and hyperventilating.
But it’s good to get out of one’s comfort zone. It increases metabolism. Or something.
And of course I have an “Up and At ‘Em - Motivate Me” playlist.
1. Tap the Phone --> Francis and the Lights
2. Wonder --> Dan Black
3. Tonight is the Night --> Outasight
4. Dynamite --> Taio Cruz
5. La Belle et la Bete --> Big Soul
6. E-Pro --> Beck
7. Feel So Close --> Calvin Harris
8. You Make Me Feel --> Cobra Starship
9. Blurred Lines --> Robin Thicke
10. Sail --> AWOLNATION
11. Undercover Martyn --> Two Door Cinema Club
12. My Body --> Young the Giant
13. Walking On A Dream --> Empire of the Sun
14. Safe and Sound --> Capital Cities
15. Carried Away --> Passion Pit
16. Burn it All Down --> VHS or Beta
17. Fall Down --> will.i.am
18. Anything Could Happen --> Ellie Goulding
19. Embers --> Just Jack
20. Terminally Chill --> Neon Indian
Listen.
And Get Up and Get Motivated!
lose your inhibitions.
Do Something.

No comments:

Post a Comment